Litze's Athens Marathon Journal

Welcome to my Athens Marathon Journal. Since this is such a big event in my life, I thought I would keep a journal. I type a lot faster, and neater, than I write so I thought I would use the computer. And I thought that someone just might be interested to see how things were going with it.



Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ah, Paris

Well, we've done 2 days in Paris. The night we arrived we walked down to the Louvre and had a look around. I got my first glimse of the Eiffel Tower! It was 8 pm by that time so we didn't go in to the Louvre. We walked around a lot looking for a place to eat but we didn't know what a lot of things on the menu were, even when they were in English.

The first full day we went to the Louvre in the morning, planning to stay 3 or 4 hours, leave for the Arc de Triumph and then be at the Eiffel Tower by 4 to see it during the day and at night. We didn't leave the Louvre until after 3. We passed on the Arc and went straight to the Tower. The cold and rainy day continued and the clouds were so low that you couldn't see the top of the Tower. Which meant that if we went up, we wouldn't be able to see anything. We took lots of pictures because it kinda looked neat with the top all fogged in. (Did I mention how difficult it is getting to type with long nails? - I don't know how Peira did it) We took a boat tour of the Seine and then went to the Arc.

Today we went to Notre Dame. All the buildings so far have been collosal works of art, including this one, but the stained glass windows were amazing in Notre Dame. We then headed for the Eiffel Tower. It was a cold but sunny day with clouds moving in as the day progressed. This meant that we had a wonderful, unobstructed view of the Tower. Last night it had been so pretty all lit up and every hour for 5 minutes it sparkled. I had been a sight to behold. We even got to see it sparkle from the top of the Arc de Triumph. So today we spent 2 very cold hours to get to the top. The view was spectacular. I never realized Paris was so big. And there are so many modern buildings - way far away. After enjoying the view, it only took us about half an hour to get down. We then headed for the Avenue Des Champs Elysees. We got a look at the Arc in daylight and then walked the Avenue Des Champs Elysees. And shopped.

I can't believe it is almost over. Tomorrow we head for London. I really am looking forward to not trying so hard just to get through the day. One last thought: We have been chastised 3 time so far in Paris.

1 comment:

  1. Chastised by whom?! What do you mean? But, after all, the French are ... the French. I'm looking forward to hearing how they chastised you! I never knew that the Eiffel Tower sparkled. That must be gorgeous. Yes, I remember being amazed at how massive Paris is when I saw it from the top of the tower. I'm so glad you managed to see it in clear conditions. And the Champs Elysees. What a rush! I loved wandering around Notre Dame and checking out the gorgeous old buildings and intriguing little roads. Now you're probably in London. Can't wait to hear what you get up to.
    See you soon (It's getting harder and harder to make myself get out and run - I miss you!),
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete