I did 30 KM yesterday. I started out about 2:30 and got home about 6:20. That includes stopping at Starbucks on the way home for a well deserved latte.
It was a tough one. I think it was tougher mentally than physically. My calves are slightly stiff this morning but that's it. It was about kilometer 18 that 30 km seemed undoable. Thoughts of cutting out this part of the planned route or did I have enough change for the bus kept creeping in my mind. And it was really tough to keep up thoughts of good form. I think the hills make it tough. I have been going down Lower Road and Beach Avenue for the first part of my run which only means a very long and steep hill to get out. Funny how after doing those big hills, the hills on the highway don't seem so steep now. And I was absolutely dreading running up Pratt Road at the very end but even that seemed almost flat most of the way. Its all perspective I guess.
Then my iphone quit at about 3 hours and 29 minutes. How am I going to do a 5 hour marathon if my iphone only lasts 3 1/2 hours? I'm going to have to work on that one. GPS worked fine the whole way though.
Then Ron, Dale's brother, phoned last night and was talking to me about running. He was on the cross country team in high school and was giving me advice and commending me for being so tough mentally. As I said earlier, I didn't feel so mentally tough but I did finish so I guess I am.
Only 2 more really long runs until I taper. That's something to look forward to. Next week 33 km and then I'll do rest week of 15 km before I do my longest run in Victoria. I'll be doing the half marathon, but I've mapped out a route of 14 km to run before the race starts. I'll have to be out at 7:00 am to get it in before the race time of 9:00 am. Won't that be fun! I'll be worn out before the race even starts :) I'm not expecting a PR.
40 days left!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment