Litze's Athens Marathon Journal

Welcome to my Athens Marathon Journal. Since this is such a big event in my life, I thought I would keep a journal. I type a lot faster, and neater, than I write so I thought I would use the computer. And I thought that someone just might be interested to see how things were going with it.



Sunday, July 11, 2010

Long time no log

Wow, time flies when you're busy! It feels like this is the first time that I'm able to take a breath. We spent the weekend in Vancouver the weekend of the Scotia Bank half. After much debate about logistics, I left work at 10:15 am the following Wednesday and we headed off to Calgary for the Canada Day "long" weekend. While the last thing I want to do these days is spend 10 hours in a vehicle, it was a very worth while trip. We saw most of Dale's family and they are just such wonderful people that it ALMOST negates the long trip. And I did get to run! I ran 3 days in Calgary. It is actually a very run friendly place. There are lots of paths throughout the city. And more than enough hills to keep it challenging. And the bonus is that I got to run one on one with Dale's niece who owns a fitness centre. I participated in her 9 am strength training class. I found out that I am not as fit as I led myself to believe. It was very challenging and I was sore for a few days afterwards (I haven't had sore muscles in ages). Then at 10 am there was no other participants for her usual run so I had her all to myself. I so enjoyed getting all that advice from an expert. And she is such an enthusiastic, encouraging person. Even without the advice, to run with Denise is fun and motivating.

So, after a long trip home on Sunday, a swim at the pool Monday morning followed by an evening paddle, 3 nights of running in 30 degrees and Friday night and all Saturday at the outrigger races, I finally get a few minutes to relax. Before my long run. It feels like its been a long haul and I'm looking forward to next weekend when all I have planned is a haircut. The house is showing neglect and I really need to catch up.

It should be interesting to see how my long run goes today. I've had some difficult runs lately and my busy schedule is starting to get to me. I'm hoping to do at least 14 miles today but I'm not going to push it. I'll try to run quite slow and see how far I get.

I'm going to take Denise's advice and revamp my training schedule to have a long run every other week. I'm also going to convert back to km because I'm no longer using a treadmill. Well, better get off and get ready for that long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment