I did great tempo runs last week. I shortened them to taper slightly because I was racing on Sunday. Thursday night's easy run felt like I had run the half marathon the day before. My legs were like lead from the start and never warmed up. I was a little concerned about Sunday.
In spite of my horrible Thursday run, I had a great run on Sunday. It was raining at the start of the race but I honestly couldn't tell you if or how long it continued to rain. A fellow coaster, Wendy, is also training for a big race and since we both had the same goal time of 2:15:00, we decided to run together. We spent the first half of the race chatting away even though we were doing a pretty good clip (for us). About 40 minutes in my GPS went crazy and by 1 hour it said we had run 95 miles. Needless to say, I had to do future pace calculations in my head. Not an easy task when the marker signs are in kilometers and I've trained in miles. We must have started to feel the mileage because the 2nd half of the race was much quieter. We really only talked during our walking breaks. There were quite a few times where I think I would have slowed down if I hadn't been running with Wendy. Especially the end where I think she booted it because we were passing people left, right and center. My chip time was 2:11:57 - over 4 minutes faster than the April Fools Run. And I didn't feel nearly as spent. It sure feels good when all the hard work pays off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment